Please read the following information completely before you apply. Many of the common questions we receive are answered on the frequently asked questions page.
Although we carefully review all applications in their entirety, our typical successful applicant will demonstrate excellence in mathematics by excelling in 8 or more undergraduate courses in mathematics (perhaps 3-4 semesters of calculus, 1-2 semesters of matrix algebra, 1-2 semesters of statistics, and 1-2 semesters of real analysis) and scoring above 164 on the quantitative portion of the GRE. The admissions committee also values applicants who have strong English ability (demonstrated on the GRE, TOEFL, and the application itself), solid research experience, and an overall strong academic record (demonstrated by overall GPA).
We only accept electronic applications. The online application can be found at https://grad.msu.edu/apply/. The application deadline is December 15th.
Only complete applications are reviewed. Complete online applications must include the following components:
- A complete electronic application form
- GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing components). Scores must be reported by ETS using the following codes: Department – 1801 and Institution – 1465
- Language scores for international students (TOEFL scores are strongly preferred). Scores must be reported by ETS using the following codes: Department – 1801 and Institution – 1465
- 3 letters of recommendation
- An academic statement that explains how your academic training has prepared you to handle the rigors of a PhD program and how MSU's PhD program fits with your research interests
- A personal statement that explains how your life experiences have prepared you to handle the rigors of a PhD program
- Uploaded transcripts (see below about unofficial transcripts)
Electronic transcripts must be uploaded as part of the online application, but students are still required to mail in official transcripts. Please send these transcripts to the following address:
Department of Economics
Michigan State University
Attn: Graduate Application Coordinator
486 W. Circle Drive
110 Marshall-Adams Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
Please note, it is the applicant’s responsibility to log onto the online system to verify that the application is complete.