Please read the following information completely before you apply. Many of the common questions we receive are answered on the frequently asked questions page.
Although we carefully review all applications in their entirety, our typical successful applicant will demonstrate excellence in mathematics by excelling in 8 or more undergraduate courses in mathematics (perhaps 3-4 semesters of calculus, 1-2 semesters of matrix algebra, 1-2 semesters of statistics, and 1-2 semesters of real analysis) and scoring above 164 on the quantitative portion of the GRE. The admissions committee also values applicants who have strong English ability (demonstrated on the GRE, TOEFL, and the application itself), solid research experience, and an overall strong academic record (demonstrated by overall GPA).
We only accept electronic applications. The online application can be found at https://grad.msu.edu/apply/. The application deadline is December 15th.
Only complete applications are reviewed. Complete online applications must include the following components:
- A complete electronic application form
- GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing components). Scores must be reported by ETS using the following codes: Department – 1801 and Institution – 1465
- Language scores for international students (TOEFL scores are strongly preferred). Scores must be reported by ETS using the following codes: Department – 1801 and Institution – 1465
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose (SOP) that explains (1) how your academic training and your life experiences have prepared you to handle the rigors of a PhD program and (2) how MSU's PhD program fits with your research interests.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts and mailed hard copy official transcripts sealed in their original envelop (see below for more detailed information)
Electronic unofficial transcripts must be uploaded as part of the online application. Additionally, hard copy official transcripts, sealed in their original envelope must be mailed to the Office of Admissions. Please send the official hard copy transcripts to the below address:
Office of Admissions
Michigan State University
Hannah Administration Building
426 Auditorium Road, Room 250
East Lansing, MI 48824-2604
Please note, it is the applicant’s responsibility to log onto the online system to verify that the application is complete.
Effective Spring 2015, Michigan State University requires all incoming ADMITTED students pursuing degrees or who have earned degrees from universities in China to submit a verification report (English version) through the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) for their final bachelor degree transcripts (大学成绩单) and bachelor degree (本科学位证书)